A baker’s dozen of our favourite communications in 2019
are listed and linked to below,
in case you missed them.
(Plus, for your complete pleasure,
the holiday photo above—only in the UK, right?)
and this [splendidly heroic] headline and story,
California fires: Goats help save
Ronald Reagan Presidential Library,
both from the estimable BBC.)
May 2020 bring you
peace, joy and prosperity!
In daily thanks to our
CGIAR Funders & partners
who make this work possible.
And, to warm your livestock hearts this season,
here is a little video (our 13th selection!)
that ILRI produced this year
to remind us why livestock matter—
to livelihoods, to economies, to people,
- New CGIAR ‘GENDER’ Platform and investment announced to build more inclusive agricultural benefits and greater food security in developing countries, 19 Dec
- New research partnership to tackle the global problem of antimicrobial resistance, 20 Feb
- ILRI at GASL: Harnessing livestock innovations for greater economic good, 10 Sep
- Launch of the CGIAR AMR Hub at ILRI: Summary, 23 Feb
- ILRI scientists are applying advanced ‘nanovaccinology’ in development of new vaccines against devastating tropical livestock diseases, 17 Dec
- Livestock’s future: An opportunity not a threat, publication of a World Economic Forum-ILRI white paper on the future of protein, 26 Feb
- ILRI opinion piece in the Financial Times on the place of ‘alt-meats’ (aka ‘meat without feet’) in poorer countries, by Isabelle Baltenweck in the Financial Times, 23 Sep
- A world where livestock are part of the solution—Ethiopia state minister, by Gebregziabher Gebreyohannes in Reuters, 8 Feb
- Smart investments in Africa’s livestock potential, Jimmy Smith at AACAA, 29 Jul
- Confused about the meat/milk/diet wars? That’s OK. It’s complicated. And poorly fact-checked. And under-studied, 7 Oct
- Celebrating Ethiopia’s agricultural transformation, video short, 17 May
For more stories, please visit us online
CGIAR · International Livestock Research Institute · CGIAR Research Program on Livestock · Why Livestock Matter · ‘ILRI Opinions’ Pinterest Board · ‘ILRI Presentations: Director General’ Pinterest Board · ‘ILRI Presentations: Staff & Partners’ Pinterest Board · Twitter: ILRI and ILRI Director General Jimmy Smith · LinkedIn: ILRI company and ILRI group ILRI Facebook
If you read nothing else that ILRI published this year, please consider this white paper ILRI published with the World Economic Forum in Jan 2019: Options for the livestock sector in developing and emerging economies to 2030 and beyond, in WEF’s ‘Meat: The Future’ series. This high-profile report encapsulates many of ILRI’s central messages about the many central roles livestock systems, livelihoods, foods, nutrition and environments play in the world’s developing and emerging economies. As condensed in the graphic below.